Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to the wedding journey.


Whether it’s an intimate exchange between you both, at my home office, in my garden, on the beach, or a grand affair, I’d love to be a part of it. I’ve been told I have a dry sense of humour, but I also know how important it is to be dignified when the occasion demands it. There should also be room for humour, smiles, laughter, tears and joy.


I promise to care about you and listen to your needs so that your unique service will express your story and celebrate your happiness. I want us to build such a great rapport with each other, that on your “big day” you feel confident and relaxed, knowing that I will be taking care of the legal responsibilities so that you can enjoy your very special day!


The service itself can be as short or as long as you wish, and we can include as many people, and as many rituals as you like.


I’d love to hear from you (we can catch up obligation-free at your home or at a Cafe close by) so that we can chat about how you would like your special day to sound.


Legal Requirements

  • You must be at least 18 years of age to marry in Australia,
  • If one person is under the age of 18 marriage is still possible by parental consent as per section 12 of the Marriage Act,
  • Complete and lodge an application form known as the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) at least one month prior to the wedding. Once lodged the certificate is valid for a maximum period of 18 months,
  • You will need two witnesses over the age of 18,
  • Legal documents and paperwork must be submitted in English by a recognised/registered translator such as NAATI.

Identification required

  • Your original birth certificate – If you don’t have one, it can be obtained from the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) in the State or Territory in which you were born,
  • or Passport (must not have expired in the last two year),
  • Drivers License,
  • Divorce Certificate or the Death Certificate of your previous spouse.

Shortening of time


If you need to get married in a hurry, there are a couple of hoops we will need to jump through. Only a prescribed authority (the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages) can authorise the marriage to occur within the required 30-day period.


We will need to complete a NOIM as soon as possible. I will provide you with a letter to the BDM stating that I’m available for your date. You will then take those documents to the BDM for consideration and authorisation. If approved, they will provide you with a signature on your NOIM which authorises me to perform the marriage within the 30 days required by law.


These are the only situations where this will be allowed

  • employment related or other travel commitments
  • wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations
  • medical reasons
  • legal proceedings, or
  • an error in giving notice.

John Dendy J.D. Celebrancy

0439 821 195